Whether you’re loading up the car with camping supplies or packing a light suitcase for a weekend getaway, remember that staying safe and healthy is key to summer travel. Here are some tips to help keep you and your family happy and healthy while traveling this summer. Plus, here is a video from Dr. Konstantina Papathomas with some additional precautions you should take before traveling.
Prepping for departure
- Pack masks, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, prescriptions, bandages and sunscreens in an easily accessible bag.
- Get to know your summer travel destination, including any COVID-19 restrictions.
- When traveling this summer, bring your daily routine items, such as vitamins and medication, plus health insurance cards. If you are flying and checking luggage, bring those items in your carry-on.
- Download the Teladoc mobile app so you can reach out if you have any health concerns, no matter where you are.1,2 Our doctors can diagnose and recommend treatments for a wide range of common summertime ailments, from sun-related conditions to insect stings, skin rashes and seasonal allergies.
Tips during the trip
- Your exercise routine doesn’t have to go by the wayside while you are traveling this summer. Try some wall push-ups in your hotel room. Take advantage of local parks for walking or running.
- Make hand sanitizer your summer travel best friend. Apply regularly, especially before and after touching shared objects like vending machines and keypads, and after using the bathroom if soap and water are not available.
- Drink plenty of water and have at least one fresh and healthy meal every day while traveling this summer. Try to avoid binging on rich food, which can lead to poor sleep and mood swings.
Planes, trains and automobiles
- If you are traveling this summer by train or plane, wear a mask and alert staff if you notice any suspicious or unusual behavior.
- To keep your blood flowing, always get out and stretch your legs by standing up or walking at least once every hour, if allowed.
- If you’re using ground transportation for summer travel, make sure to follow local regulations for mask-wearing even if you have gotten the COVID-19 vaccine.
Here’s to a safe and worry-free trip, but while you are traveling this summer, know that you can reach out to Teladoc online or by app 24/7.1 For summer travel, here are all the ways we can help.
Updated June 28, 2021
1,2Accessibility may vary depending on location. Services not available outside the United States.
This portion of the Teladoc Health website occasionally offers health, fitness, and nutritional information and is provided for educational purposes only. You cannot rely on any information provided here as a substitute for or replacement of professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Teladoc Health cannot assure that the information contained on this site always includes the most recent findings or developments with respect to the particular subject matter covered.
If you ever have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional. Do not disregard, avoid or delay obtaining medical- or health-related advice from your healthcare professional because of something you may have read on this site. The use of any information provided on this site is solely at your own risk.
If you are in the United States and think you are having a medical or health emergency, call your healthcare professional, or 911, immediately.